- 2015-2016 Summer Packets - Summer packets are now available!!! They can be found HERE.
- Thanks for a Great Move-Up Day (June 9th) - Thank you for participating in another terrific Move-Up Day (June 9th). This truly is a wonderful opportunity to help our students and teachers transition to and get excited about next school year. It even helps to get some of those nerves out. To view a copy of the presentation that Mr. Morawski and Mr. Hill gave to our new 3rd grade parents that morning, click here.
Also, for our incoming families to grades 5 and 7, she shared a general schedule at Move Up Night for Parents. Following are links to those general schedules:
- 2015-2016 7/8 Optional Field Trips To Philly/NYC and Chicago -
- Congratulations, Rick Joseph, Michigan Teacher of the Year - Rick Joseph was named 2015-16 Michigan Teacher of the Year May 14th during a visit to BCS from State Superintendent Mike Flanagan. Mr. Joseph, our fifth/sixth grade teacher with 20 years of classroom experience, was selected from 487 applicants statewide. “Great teachers make an incalculable impact on the lives of our children,” said Governor Rick Snyder. “We honor Rick because he’s a great teacher and also to recognize the tremendous contribution that dedicated teachers are making in classrooms across our state." Flanagan congratulated Mr. Joseph on this recognition, saying, “Rick is an energetic example of our Michigan teachers. He believes in connecting with individuals and challenging them to reach their highest potential. We look forward to his continued contributions to teaching and learning." Congratulations, Rick!!!
Alicia Acey - BCS Volunteer of the Year!! - Congratulations to BCS Volunteer of the Year, Alicia Acey! Alicia has done an outstanding job of coordinating BCS Spirit Wear, bringing our sales to a whole new level. She also has actively involved herself in the coordination of a number of other activities including acting as 3/4 Room Parent Co-Chair, organizing 3/4 Coney Bingo, coordinating the volunteers at the Blast, establishing a sales choice hour, and the list could go on! If something needs to be done, Alicia is always willing to take it on and do so with a positive attitude! Congratulations, Alicia – well deserved!
- 2015-2016 Quarter I Choice Hour - Scheduling for the first quarter of the next school year has begun. Selection Sheets will be delivered to students the week of May 18th. Choice Hour Selection Sheets are due back no later than Friday, May 29 at 4pm. All grade levels for next school year are due back at this time. CLICK HERE.
A Request from the Bottle Greenhouse Group - A group from the Joberts team want to build a greenhouse made out of 2 liter bottles. The purpose is to help reduce the amount of people who are suffering from hunger in Birmingham. Our goal is to collect 1,600 bottles this year to build a bottle greenhouse. After we build the bottle greenhouse, we will plant fruits and vegetables and we will send the fruit and vegetables to Gleaners (a food bank for people facing hunger).
We need all the help we can get to build a bottle greenhouse. Please write the students name, class, and grade on the bottle with a permanent marker. The collection bin will be outside the front office. Thank you so much for helping us get the word out. This is exciting! Thanks,The Bottle Greenhouse Group https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1L3iU9Hoo
- BCS Bond 2015 Impact -- On May 5, 2015, voters in the Birmingham Public School District approved a bond proposal to improve school facilities, enhance building security for the safety of the students and staff, and provide up-to-date technology for students to remain globally competitive. For detailed descriptions for the District, click here.
- 2015-2016 Elective Information Packets- OVERDUE!
- Important Attendance Reporting Changes! - BPS has made some adjustments to our attendance policy (and daily attendance recording) in response to new Department of Education mandates. These changes should not affect the average absence. However, there will be impact on those who frequently miss school and have nonexempt absences. To see the new policy (Board Policy 5200) that will go to the Board of Education for approval in January, please review the information and changes by clicking HERE. Additionally, find a newly required "Extended Absence Form" HERE. Should you have any questions about the policy, please contact Mark Morawski or Jason Hill.
- Like us on Facebook! - Click here to visit our new Facebook page.
- The Ripple Effect -- A new BCS newsletter subtitled Sharing the Stories of BCS Students Making a Difference in the Lives of Others is a wonderful snapshot of some of the great work and learning that is ongoing at BCS.
Read Issue 3 - Winter 2014-15
Read Issue 2 - Spring 2014
- Salmon in the Classroom -- Thanks to the generosity of the BCS PTSA and Premier Pet Supply in Beverly Hills, we are able to help the Great Lakes by raising salmon. To view the blog click here: BCS Salmon Blog. The salmon were released on May 5, 2015 into the Clinton River in Auburn Hill's Riverside Park. Of the 220 eggs, 180 live salmon were released.
Did you know? Every student in our school has to have their parent or guardian read the first two pages of the "Concussion Awareness Educational Material," complete the third page with the student's name and parent/guardian signature, and return the signed form back to the BCS office where it will be placed in the student's file per direction from the state. Click here to download, read, print page 3, complete and return signed form to the BCS office. Thank you!
The BCS PTSA has many opportunities to help make next year a great school year. See PTSA home page for a summary of the activities and a SignUp link.
Birmingham Covington School Virtual Tour. Click here to take a virtual tour of BCS (launches a new YouTube window).
Monthly Calendar views, print, ...
BPS District Calendar
2014-2015 BPS Yearlong Calendar
BCS Wins National Recognition - Birmingham Covington School was just recognized as one of The 50 Best Middle Schools in the U.S. by TheBestSchools.org. They are the only school from Michigan to be designated with this honor by The Best Schools. TheBestSchools.org selected BCS based on several weighted factors, including academic excellence, NAEP scores, state assessment scores, received awards and rankings, geographical diversity, and reputation. Congratulations to BCS staff, students and families for this outstanding recognition.
BCS has been selected by Microsoft as one of 80 outstanding Mentor Schools from around the world! Our application, video and other documents clearly showed our school’s passion for and efforts toward innovative teaching and learning. Please click here for the full list of Mentor Schools winners from around the world.
Our Joberts 56 students' Doing Business in Birmingham Project placed first in the Collaboration category at the Microsoft Global Forum in Prague. Microsoft recognized BCS as being one of the top innovative schools in the world. See full article here.
Did you know?
... NAN’S KIDS - No student is ever excluded from an activity at BCS for financial reasons. We have a fund at BCS called Nan’s Kids to assist families. Please let administration know if you have a student who needs this assistance. All information is kept confidential.
... you can make Amazon.com purchases through the Amazon button on the BEF Website at www.supportbef.org and they receive a donation!
... you can use the Search bar (upper right) to find information
... your box tops can earn cash for BCS: Got BoxTops?
... you can support the BEF when you use your Kroger card! Register here